Beginning, Monday, June 29, 2015, nominations will be accepted for this year's "Salute to the Leadership" Awards. Every year, NASWA's President, Board of Directors and Committees present awards recognizing state and individuals for their excellent contributions to the public workforce system. Award winners will be announced and recognized at NASWA's 79th Annual Conference scheduled to take place in Indianapolis, Indiana, October 7-9, 2015.
The award categories include:
- The State Excellence Award for Leadership (SEAL) Award – honoring a state for a workforce related program addressing an issue or challenge;
- The Eagle Award – honoring individuals who soar to new heights in their efforts to serve employers and workers in the United States;
- The James F. Walls Employee Award – honoring an employee whose conduct demonstrates outstanding dedication to customers and colleagues, and extraordinary service to the local community;
- The James F. Walls Team Award – honoring a local office, one-stop center, central office division or unit, or a special team, demonstrating extraordinary service in its assignment area, functions, local community or area;
- The Mark Sanders Award for Exceptional Service to Disabled Veterans – recognizing efforts of an entire local office/one-stop center, not just a veterans' unit or veterans' staff, whose efforts demonstrate "exceptional" service and dedication to improving employment opportunities for disabled veterans;
- The Merrill Baumgardner Award – honoring an individual who has demonstrated excellence in the field of information technology in a state workforce agency;
- The Vladimir Chavrid Award – recognizing excellence in the field of Labor Market Information (LMI) and Employment Security operations research;
- The William J. Harris Equal Opportunity Award – recognizing excellence in the field of equal opportunity (EO) and to honor a state workforce agency administrator and the EO workforce agency director/officer for outstanding accomplishments within the agency; and,
- The NASWA National Business of the Year Award – recognizing a business demonstrating outstanding accomplishments resulting in a positive impact on its workforce, industry and community.
Make your nominations for the 2015 Salute to the Leadership Awards today!
The deadline for nominations is at 5 p.m. ET on August 14, 2015.
- President's Award – Richard A. Hobbie, Ph.D., Executive Director, NASWA
- SEAL Award – The State of Florida with Special Recognition to the Honorable Rick Scott, Governor and the CareerSource Florida Network
- Eagle Award – Roger Bailie, Director of Finance (Posthumous), New York Deparment of Labor
- James F. Walls Employee Award – Eric McAbee, Local Veterans's Employment Representative, South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce
- James F. Walls Team Award – The Arkansas Department of Workforce Services' Worker Profiling and Reemployment Services (RES) Team
- Merrill Baumgardner Award – David Kyre, Director of Application Development & Technical Director, South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce
- Vladimir Chavrid Award – Tom Price, Business and Technology Applications Specialist, North Carolina Department of Commerce
- NASWA National Business of the Year Award – Schaeffler Group-INA
Click here to view the 2014 Salute to the Leadership.
- President's Award – Larry E. Temple, Executive Director, Texas Workforce Commission
- SEAL Award – New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development: Hurricane Sandy Response Special recognition to the Honorable Harold Wirths
- Eagle Award – Roger Madsen, Director, Idaho Department of Labor
- James F. Walls Employee Award – Shalonda Sanders, Programs Manager/Area Manager, Oklahoma Employment Security Commission
- James F. Walls Team Award – Veterans’ Outreach Reporting Team, Washington Employment Security Department Special recognition to Lisa Marsh, Director, Information Technology and Business Integration
- Mark Sanders Award – Job Service North Dakota Veterans Employment Team
- Merrill Baumgardner Award – Mohammed Jalaluddin, Director, Office of Technology Development and Innovation, Mississippi Department of Employment Security
- William J. Harris Award – Serafin “Jun” Colmenares, Executive Director, Hawaii Office of Language Access
- William J. Harris Award – Dwight Takamine, Director, Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Vladimir Chavrid Award – George Putnam, Ph.D., Assistant Manager, Labor Market Information, Economic Information and Analysis, Illinois Department of Employment Security
- NASWA National Business of the Year Award – The Donlin Gold Team Special recognition to Stan Foo, General Manager
Click here to view the 2013 Salute to the Leadership.
Recipients of the 2012 Salute to the Leadership Awards are listed below. For the complete NASWA's 2012 Salute to the Leadership publication, highlighting award recipients' accomplishments, click here.
NASWA's Salute to the Leadership 2012 Award Recipients:
- President's Award – Bill Warren, Executive Director, DirectEmployers
- SEAL Award – State of Wyoming, Honorable Joan Evans
- Eagle Award – Honorable Paul Trause, Commissioner, Washington State Employment Security Department
- James F. Walls Employee Award – Robert F. Singer, DVOP, Virginia Employment Commission
- James F. Walls Team Award – UI Modernization Project, Oklahoma Employment Security Commission
- Mark Sanders Award – Plymouth Massachusetts Career Center
- Merrill Baumgardner Award – John M. Fowler, UI IT Systems Manager, Texas Workforce Commission
- William J. Harris Award – Kintu Nnambi, Manager of Diversity, Inclusion and EO and ADA Coordinator
- William J. Harris Award – Honorable Paul Trause, Commissioner, Washington State Employment Security Department
- Vladimir Chavrid Award – Steve Saxton, Chief, Labor Market Information Division, California Employment Development Department
- NASWA National Business of the Year Award – U.S. Bancorp of Minneapolis