Incite, Inc. Seeks Executive Director
Incite, Inc. Seeks Executive Director
Apply by May 6, 2017 • www.inciteworks.org
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the chief executive of Incite, Inc. and is responsible for the organization’s ongoing success, working in partnership with the Board of Directors and governance structure. We seek a leader who is enthusiastic about addressing workforce development issues, building on Incite’s track record, experience, and partnerships to position the organization for the future. This individual should enjoy guiding and developing a dedicated staff team – and focusing on and, as appropriate, rethinking systems, structures, and approaches to help strengthen organizational effectiveness and our ability to meet local needs. In anticipation of a reduction in public funding, Incite’s next leader should have an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to leverage resources to create value for our region. This opportunity presents strategic, functional and organizational demands that will engage a creative and forward-thinking leader who wants to work collaboratively with partners, to build Incite’s leadership role in furthering workforce development and employment in our region.
Incite is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Salem, Oregon, and is designated by the Governor under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) as the Local Workforce Development Board (LWB) of Linn, Marion, Polk, and Yamhill Counties. Our mission is to seek out and align resources to advance innovative workforce solutions in our region. Our vision is communities where businesses and people come together to help each other thrive. Incite serves as a voice for employers and a convening table for conversations regarding the skills of the local workforce.
As one of nine LWBs in Oregon, Incite designs programs and provides oversight of publically-funded workforce services, which are delivered by a network of local partners through WorkSource Oregon, and benefit more than 20,000 adults and youth annually in our region. In addition, we lead the development of sector partnerships, which help businesses access resources and provide a platform for the sharing and networking that is vital to business growth – and we collaborate with industry leaders, economic development agencies, and community colleges to help businesses stay competitive and provide good jobs to local residents.
Incite has a small staff team and budget of over $7 million, comprised largely of federal and state revenue. Due to the completion of grant-funded projects this year and an anticipated reduction in public funding, our preliminary estimate is for a $5 million to $6 million budget next fiscal year. In this context, the incoming Executive Director will shape the organization moving into the future.
The Ideal Candidate
The Incite ED position requires the following capabilities, knowledge, experience and education.
Capabilities and Knowledge
- Leadership and Governance: Provides vision and strategic direction to the organization, working collaboratively with the Incite Board of Directors, the Mid-Valley Workforce Board, and the Mid-Willamette Jobs Council (which comprise the governance structure). Fosters related communications and development of shared priorities, and efforts to enhance governance (such as through potential changes in governance/committee structure and operations).
- Management and Organizational Development: Plans and ensures sound management of Incite operations and finances, strengthening systems and practices as needed. Sets clear direction and expectations for staff, fosters trust and a high-performing team culture, and ensures that the organization has the capacity needed to successfully deliver on its goals and commitments.
- Partnerships and Collaboration: Builds upon and maintains strategic partnerships, establishing and supporting shared priorities and initiatives within our local communities, linked to tangible results. Works comfortably with politicians, business and community leaders, and a diverse array of stakeholders, serving as a spokesperson for Incite and workforce development.
- Workforce Development: Understands the role of a LWB and related federal/state requirements in order to oversee contracting and compliance – and to skillfully navigate within the law to envision opportunities. Has the ability to understand the marketplace and our region’s workforce needs, and knowledge of best practices that respond effectively to these.
- Entrepreneurship and Results Orientation: Takes initiative to identify and pursue opportunities, in collaboration with others, to further Incite’s objectives, funding prospects, and results. Sees possibilities for improving how things are done, while respecting and building upon past efforts; fosters buy-in to ideas and effectively follows through.
Experience and Education
- 5 to 10 years of experience in workforce development, research, and policy analysis.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in leading and managing a complex organization.
- 3 to 5 years of experience working in partnership with an engaged board of directors.
- Demonstrated skills in leading, mentoring and supporting staff, and building effective teams.
- A solid grasp of financial planning, management and oversight.
- A successful track record in leading an organization in transition through change.
- Management of WIOA/WIA (preferred) or other publicly-funded programs and related compliance.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent communicator, who is an effective public speaker, can capably convey complex information, and writes well.
- Experience formulating strategies, plans, and priorities, and accomplishing these.
- Nonprofit experience (preferred).
- Bachelor’s (or advanced) degree in business, public administration or related field.
Salary range of $105,000 to $135,000, plus excellent benefits. This is a full-time, exempt position.
How to Apply
Please submit the following:
- A cover letter that reflects how your previous experience qualifies you to become the Executive Director of Incite, Inc., and
- A complete chronological resume.
Send via email as a PDF to Incite@nonprofitoregon.org, attention Incite Search Committee. Please put “Incite Executive Director” in the subject line. Expect an acknowledgement of receipt.
Apply by Saturday, May 6, 2017. All inquiries will be handled confidentially. Incite values diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity.
For a complete position description and to learn more about Incite, please visit www.inciteworks.org.