NASWA Presents the California Employment Development Department's UI Online Project Team with National Award
(Washington, DC) - Recently the National Association of State Workforce Agencies (NASWA) presented The California Employment Development Department's Unemployment Insurance Online Project team with the prestigious James F. Walls Workforce Agency Team award at their 80th Annual National Conference in Oklahoma City. The James F. Walls Workforce Agency Team award was established to honor a specialty unit within a state workforce development agency which demonstrates extraordinary innovation and exemplary service to the community, state, or country as a whole.
This past year, California's Unemployment Insurance Online Project team was able to successfully launch UI Online - a fast, convenient, and secure way for unemployed workers to file for weekly unemployment benefits, view payments, and manage their claims 24 hours a day, seven day a week, from the convenience of a computer, tablet, or smartphone in English or Spanish.
- More than 500,000 unemployed individuals registered in UI Online.
- More than one-third of all unemployed individuals in California certified for unemployment benefits through UI Online every week resulting in a total of over $1.5 billion in benefits paid.
- UI Online saved countless California Employment Development Department man-hours and taxpayer dollars for unemployment claim processing by avoiding common mistakes made by claimants on paper forms that would have previously required scheduling a phone appointment.
- Paper form certifications were reduced by 26 percent.
- Fifty-two percent of unemployment insurance claimants received important payment information immediately online rather than submitting a request through email or phone, again, saving countless man-hours and taxpayer dollars.
"The Unemployment Insurance Online Project team of the California Employment Development Department is definitely deserving of the James F. Walls Workforce Agency Team award," said Scott Sanders, Executive Director of NASWA. "Through their innovative efforts and fastidious teamwork countless California state employee man-hours and taxpayer dollars have been saved. Equally as important, a trying time in anyone's life, unemployment, has been made easier to navigate for many unemployed individuals in California."
"The EDD is committed to making the unemployment claim process easier and more convenient for Californians who've encountered a very stressful period in their lives," says the Director of the California Employment Development Department, Patrick W. Henning, Jr. "UI Online increases access to UI services, provides immediate access to claim and payment information, allows customers to handle most inquiries without having to talk with a representative, and helps speed along the processing of their benefits. I'm proud of the extraordinary dedication of our team that worked tirelessly to make this self-service option a reality for our customers."
NASWA also recognized several other individuals and entities who have provided vital community workforce and economic development opportunities as a part of their Salute to Leadership awards ceremony at their 80th Annual National Conference. More information about award recipients and categories can be found at Salute to Leadership Awards.