Concurrent Breakout Session: Promising Practices for DVOPs
Washington State - The Choice
- As a result of customer feedback, WorkSource Auburn created an exciting way for job seekers to connect with employers. An event where they find unbiased ears and endless possibilities for job seekers who face a variety of barriers and challenges to employment – an event they call “The Choice.”
- Presenters: Clifford Gocha*, WorkSource Supervisor, Washington State Employment Security Department; Laura Westergard, Community Connections & Business Services Specialist, Washington State Employment Security Department
Maryland – Seamless Services
- This session will share how Maryland combined JVSG and Wagner Peyser funds to create positions that can serve all Veterans – those with Significant Barriers to Employment, and those without. Since staff started working virtually, these staff have been able to provide local to statewide seamless services to all veterans and their eligible spouses. All DVOPs also perform system mining to find veterans who have registered themselves with no contact with our veteran/center staff.
- Presenter: LeRoy Thomas*, Veterans Program Manager, Maryland Department of Labor
Utah – Utah@EASE, a Veteran Legal Assistance Program
- Utah@EASE is a referral program led by the Office of the Utah Attorney General in partnership with the Utah Department of Veterans Military Affairs and the Utah State Bar. This public-private partnership offers pro bono legal assistance and representation to Veterans and current servicemembers for Utah issues. This program does not offer legal advice or services, but looks for volunteer attorneys who are willing to help qualified Veterans with issues like USERRA, landlord, debt, consumer fraud, predatory lending, wills, power of attorney, etc. They do not help with criminal cases, family law, personal injury, or VA claims.
- Presenter: Larry Schmidt*, Director, Utah@EASE
(*) Denotes the individual is currently serving or is a Veteran of the United States military.