What is the National Labor Exchange?
The National Labor Exchange (NLx)
is a sophisticated electronic labor-exchange network, created in 2007 in a partnership agreement between
and DirectEmployers (DirectEmployers) Association.
This is an unprecedented public-private partnership that leverages private non-profit-owned technology with
existing state workforce agency resources.
The NLx collects and distributes job openings exclusively found on over 18,000 corporate career websites and state job banks – and is growing on a daily basis.
All NLx services are offered at no cost to state workforce agency customers – both jobseekers and employers – as well as to state workforce agencies and federal partners.
Today, all state workforce agencies, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam, have signed participation agreements with DirectEmployers to operate the NLx.
Mission & Vision
The mission of the NLx is to provide the most accurate and comprehensive collection of real online
job openings in order to achieve the highest level of efficiency for the nation's labor exchange –
at no additional cost to state workforce agencies, employers and job seekers.
The vision of the NLx is to provide the nation with an accurate understanding of the current labor market in order to improve labor exchange efficiency to better serve our nation's diverse workforce.
Strategy & Facts
While the NLx network aims to collect all real job openings in the market, this effort is not about
creating a single outlet for all jobs. Capitalizing on today's jobseeker behavior the NLx seeks to
place quality job feeds in the hands of trusted partners whose goal is to facilitate the labor exchange.
The NLx gathers currently available and unduplicated job opportunities from verified employers, well beyond DirectEmployers members, and pushes that content into state workforce agency sites, federal portals as well as multiple .jobs sites, to reach a maximum number of jobseekers.
Regardless of where a jobseeker discovers an NLx job opening, they will be returned to the point of origination: either the corporate career website or the state workforce agency.
- The NLx collects and distributes job openings exclusively found on corporate career websites, state job banks, and usajobs.gov (the federal jobs portal).
- The NLx allows state job banks to seamlessly receive and share job openings collected by either state agency staff or DirectEmployers technology.
- Job feeds are refreshed and shared with states daily. The previous day's file is eliminated and replaced with a new one – ensuring job listings are current and reflect what is posted and advertised on corporate career sites and in state agency job banks.
- All job openings are unduplicated, currently available, and most importantly are from vetted employers.
- The NLx does not spider third party sites, job boards, etc., to avoid duplication and expired links – thus providing a better user experience and employment outcomes.
Benefits to State Workforce Agencies
The NLx partnership is proud to offer state workforce agencies a number of valuable no-cost state services, including:
- Downloads and uploads of jobs
- Indexing (a "customized" job scrape or spider)
- .jobs microsites
- Hosted sites
- OFCCP compliance